We are now selecting contestants to participate in this year’s MISS NEW JERSEY USA® and MISS NEW JERSEY TEEN USA® state pageant, the official preliminaries to the MISS USA® and MISS TEEN USA® pageants.
JUDGING & CRITERIA
How is the MISS NEW JERSEY USA® and MISS NEW JERSEY TEEN USA® Pageant judged?
Each contestant will be judged in three areas of competition; Interview, Swimsuit (Miss), Active wear (Teen) and Evening Gown. Judging criteria includes character, poise, confidence and personality.
Is there a talent portion of the competition?
No, there is no performing talent required. There are three equally scored categories, including interview, evening gown, and swimwear.
Are you only looking for perfect “10’s”?
Absolutely not! Whether you’re 4 feet tall or 7 feet tall it doesn’t matter. In the swimsuit portion of the competition, the judges will be looking for physical fitness, which includes a healthy and fit body. There’s usually a wide range of body styles and types for the Top 10 Finalists each year. We’re looking for outgoing, intelligent, confident, attractive young women excited to represent the beauty of New Jersey.
Do I have to be a “Pageant Girl” to enter?
Not at all, in fact most of our contestants are newcomers to pageants.
Are there any height or weight requirements to compete in the pageant?
Absolutely not! Each contestant in our pageant is an individual and the judges are looking for body proportion and personality, not a specific body measurement.
How does “Sponsorship” work?
Collecting sponsorship is very important. It takes a time commitment on your part. You start with a list of potential sponsors such as friends and family members and their employers, etc. Plan your strategy, and make a plan to succeed! Schedule appointments to collect your sponsorships. When approaching potential sponsors, explain your goals, your desire to improve yourself by participating in the MISS NEW JERSEY USA or MISS NEW JERSEY TEEN USA pageant, the charities you believe in and the scholarship opportunities. Let them know what your experience will entail. This will be extremely beneficial in developing your communication skills. This is an essential characteristic to have if you’re going to be the next MISS NEW JERSEY USA or MISS NEW JERSEY Teen USA.
Our goal is for contestants to collect 100% of the sponsorship fee. This is a tax-deductible advertising expense for those businesses that assist you with sponsorship. If you work hard on collecting sponsorship, it is possible that you will not incur any expenses out of pocket. In addition, hard working contestants receive material item sponsorships, such as a dress, tanning, a haircut, etc.
What if I raise more sponsorship money than the required sponsorship fee?
You may collect more than the required sponsorship fee. If you do collect over the required amount of the sponsorship fee, please send in the full amount to the state pageant offices. You may use additional sponsorsorship toward special “Spotlight ads” in the Official Program Book, Hair & Makeup on Pageant Weekend, or a Ticket Purchase.
When will the national pageant be televised?
The 2021 MISS USA® pageant will be televised on November 29, 2021. The 2021 MISS TEEN USA® pageant, will be live streamed on November 27, 2021. Both national pageants will be held at the River Spirit Casino Resort in Tulsa Oklahoma. The date and location for the national 2022 Miss USA and 2022 Miss Teen USA pageant has not been announced.
When will the semi-finalists be named?
The semi-finalists will be announced during the first portion of the pageant on the last day of the pageant weekend. No one will know who the semi-finalists are until that moment in the pageant final show.
If I am not named as a semi-finalist, will I still be in the pageant finals?
Absolutely. All contestants will participate in the gown review, special awards, naming of the semi-finalist, musical performances, and crowning of the titleholders. You will be on stage at many times during the pageant finals, even if you are not named as a semi-finalist.
Do I need a different gown for finals than the one I wear for preliminaries?
No. We highly recommend wearing the same gown for both preliminaries and finals. Nearly all contestants at the state pageant wear the same gown for both.
What is the “Introduction or Opening Number Outfit” for?
At the beginning of the show for the pageant, each contestant will be introduced to the audience during an upbeat, choreographed introduction musical number (contestant will not sing, and the choreographed moves are very easy – you do not need to be a dancer).
If I win, will it interfere with school?
We make school the number one priority! Our program only encourages your success! Almost all of your appearances, celebrity events, and charity work will take place during the weekend and will be scheduled in advance.
Do I have to spend a lot of money on wardrobe?
You do not need to spend fortunes on activewear, swimwear, an interview outfit, and an evening gown. It is most important to find outfits that you will feel confident in and that best suit you and your personality. The personal choice of gowns have spanned from simple, elegant to hand beaded. But it is never the gown that the judges are scoring; it’s the young women wearing it. Again, several contestants have been able to secure a gown sponsor to assist them.
What happens if I can’t get my registration materials in before the deadlines?
Deadlines are very important to us in order to make timely program preparations. However, we realize that unexpected circumstances can arise and that the collection of sponsorship may take longer than expected. If you need an extension, please call or email the state pageant offices.
Do I need to pay for my meals during pageant weekend?
No. Most all of your meals throughout the state pageant weekend are provided by the state pageant. Although all of your meals are provided, we do recommend that are prepared for any additional meals that you may want.
Do I need to pay for my hotel room during pageant weekend?
No. Your hotel room during the pageant is provided for you by the state pageant. You will be paired with one other contestant in a room with two beds. If you choose to arrive the night before or stay the night after the pageant, your room for those nights would be at your own expense
How many other contestants will I room with at the hotel?
Each contestant is paired with one other contestant in order to share each hotel room. Each room will have two beds, so each contestant will have their own bed. In order to be respectful to the contestant with whom you are sharing the room, only the two of you are allowed in your hotel room (no family or friends allowed at any time).
If my family or friends want to attend the pageant, where do they stay?
They may stay in the pageant’s “Host Hotel”. Friend’s and Family rates normally apply.
How do my family and friends get tickets to attend the pageant?
Ticket information will be listed on the website once they have been set.
What should I do if a sponsor gives me cash for my sponsorship fee?
If you receive cash contributions for your sponsorship fee, you may put that money into a money order or send a personal check. Please DO NOT send cash through the mail at any time. If your cash collected exceeds the sponsorship fee for the state pageant, then you do not have to send in the additional cash.
How many contestants compete at the state pageant?
The number of contestant vary from year to year, but each year approximately 75-100 contestants compete for the Miss title, and approximately 75-100 contestants compete for the Teen title.
What should my family and friends wear to the pageant?
We recommend anything from business casual to formalwear for the pageant preliminaries and pageant finals.
Eligibility requirements for participation in the 2022 state pageants include…
MISS NEW JERSEY USA CONTESTANTS
- Must be at least 18 but under 28 years of age as of December 31, 2021.
- Must never have participated in a previous national MISS USA Pageant.
MISS NEW JERSEY TEEN USA CONTESTANTS
- Must be at least 14 but under 19 years of age as of December 31, 2021.
- Must never have participated in a previous national MISS TEEN USA Pageant.
- Must not be married, never have been married, and never have had a marriage annulled. Must never have given birth to a child, cannot be pregnant or be a parent or guardian of any other adult or minor person. These representations and warranties must remain true through the State Pageant and, if you win the State Pageant, through the 2022 national pageant.
- Must be of good health and moral character.
- Must be a citizen of the United States, and at least one of the following must be true:
- (1) Must now reside in New Jersey as your permanent and primary residence for the full period of at least three (3) months immediately prior to the beginning of the state pageant (although you may have attended college or University elsewhere);
- or (2) Must have resided in New Jersey as a full-time student at a school, college or university and will complete or have completed one entire semester , trimester or summer session by December 31, 2021, and you will continue to reside in the State as a full-time student at that same school, college or university through the State Pageant and, if you win, through the 2022 national pageant.
- Must agree, that if selected to represent New Jersey in the MISS USA or MISS TEEN USA pageant, you will participate in that pageant, and will abide by all the rules and regulations governing that pageant. If you win the MISS USA pageant, they must agree to participate in the MISS UNIVERSE PAGEANT, and to abide by the rules and regulations governing that pageant.
- No contestant or any member of their immediate family can be employed by or work as a volunteer for IMG Universe, LLC, IMG Worldwide, LLC d/b/a the Miss USA Organization, any State Director in the MISS USA and/or MISS TEEN USA Pageant system, any company or enterprise IMG (Miss USA Organization) owns or controls, Ernst & Young, or, any of the subsidiaries, affiliates or related companies of the foregoing. If contestant or any member of their immediate family is employed by any of the foregoing or any firm or corporation controlled or affiliated with any of them, they must notify the state director immediately, in writing, so that their eligibility may be determined.
- Must agree that if you win or succeed to the state level title or the national title of MISS USA or MISS TEEN USA, you will not participate in any other pageants during the time you hold any of these titles, unless authorized in writing by The Miss USA Organization.
- Must be willing to release, unconditionally and forever, any claim against The Miss USA Organization, Its parent and affiliated or related companies and their respective officers, directors, partners, employees, agents and assigns, which they may have by virtue of their participation in their state pageant, or by any use of their name, likeness, voice, and/or biography in connection with their state pageant, including use in promotional and advertising material.
- Must understand and agree that all issues as to eligibility shall be determined by The Miss USA Organization and they must agree to abide by that determination both as to themselves and other applicants.